State Employee Insurance

Moving Out of State

Description Summary: 
Information about health insurance under an HMO and moving out of state.

If you currently have health insurance under an HMO, this is information you need to know.

Most HMOs do not cover their members outside of the coverage area for anything less than life threatening or emergency situations. Even in situations such as this, the benefits may be limited. We highly recommend contacting your HMO to find out exactly what they will cover while you are outside of their coverage area.

State Employee Group Insurance Program

Description Summary: 
Insurance information for members in the state employee group insurance program.


To be eligible to participate in the State Employee Group Insurance Program, members:

  • Must meet vesting requirement of qualifying service for retirement as a Tier I (five years of service) or Tier II (10 years) member.
  • Must elect to receive a lifetime monthly benefit from SURS.

The State Employee Group Insurance Program (SEGIP) includes health, vision, dental, life and prescription insurance.


Description Summary: 
Links to the State insurance plan, College Insurance Plan, Legislation and Insurance Providers.

SURS benefit recipients may be eligible for the State of Illinois Group Insurance Plan or the College Insurance Program (CIP).

To be eligible for the State Group Health Plan, you must meet the minimum vesting requirement for service credit with a state university or an agency of the State of Illinois. Community Colleges are not state agencies. To be eligible for the CIP, you must have been a full-time employee of any SURS-participating Community College and eligible for benefits. City Colleges of Chicago do not participate in the CIP.

Subscribe to RSS - State Employee Insurance