The State Universities Retirement System (SURS) is one of the five state-funded retirement plans and provides retirement, survivor, death and disability benefits on behalf of more than 230,000 members from 61 employers in Illinois, including state universities, community colleges and state agencies. SURS administers benefits and oversees a large investment program with assets approximating $21.8 billion.
This position is responsible for maintaining company-wide domain security controls and system integrity and Local Area Network (LAN) administration, which includes configuring, upgrading, troubleshooting, and providing second level support. The System Adminstrator evaluates and documents system performance, and makes recommendations for lease, purchase and discontinuation of same; reviews new technology to enhance the system and increase productivity; assists in the development of policies and procedures and prepares system documentation for new, revised or updated procedures; participates in various special projects or assignments as a member or in a team lead role, including as a member of the rotating after-hours support team.
- Monitors file servers and other network components to maintain effective performance
- Conducts disaster recovery process, including following designated testing procedures and implementing the plan with identified support team members
- Follows data back-up and restore process, ensuring nightly back-ups and conducts a restore when a user needs assistance
- Performs virus protection process to ensure system availability, efficiency and integrity
- Runs operating system patching processes periodically when software is updated
- Recommends new business processes or solutions to enhance, increase or develop new support levels
- Responsible for LAN administration, which includes maintaining secure network access at all levels, managing user access for all systems, and adhering to tasking requirements as per designated termination policy to ensure network availability, integrity and security in accordance with established procedures
- Responsible for security and integrity of network electronic mail system, managing users, domain group policies and creating Active Directory objects as necessary
- Plans, configures and documents network hardware and other peripherals
- Troubleshoots application problems, identifies and resolves all issues; contacts vendors and consults with manager and senior support operations staff to resolve complex and/or unusual problems
- Responsible for managing user accounts for telephone system, removing, connecting, troubleshooting and installing telephone switches and day-to-day management of telephone system software, including call routing, auto attendants, and servers on which the phone software resides
- Evaluates current hardware and software to determine viability; reviews new technology to enhance system, increase productivity or replace outmoded equipment; and makes recommendations for lease, purchase or discontinuation of same
- Participates in various projects or assignments, as a team member, such as developing LAN policies and procedures; preparing system documentation for new or revised procedures compiling reporting statistics; determining user needs, providing analysis, design, and technical writing for Requests for Proposals; and reviewing user problem logs to identify system weaknesses in accordance with department and industry project management standards
- Works with management to manage information services vendors and relations, orders, purchases, contracts and leases
- Keeps current regarding trends and developments in computer technology, infrastructure, network security, administration, system management and emerging technology
- Member of after-hours support team
Desirable Credentials and Qualifications:
- In-depth knowledge of computer systems, LAN networks, with specific emphasis on Microsoft network operating systems in order to install, configure, and support network applications; ability to evaluate and maintain comprehensive system documentation at a level normally acquired through completion of a bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems, or combination of equivalent and related work experience
- Preferred experience in administering cloud technologies and managing integrations
- Thorough understanding and knowledge of network administration and documentation, and hardware and software installation; experience supporting email and security systems, virtual servers, and phone switches, at a level normally acquired through three to five years progressively more responsible, related experience.
- Interpersonal and project management skills necessary to gather and exchange information, communicate policies and procedures, and explain technical problems to a variety of internal and external contacts
- Analytical abilities necessary to monitor and evaluate system operations, recommend new organization processes, develop system documentation and identify system problems
Apply for this Position
This position is 100% in-office time. Applicants are subject to a background check as terms of hire.
SURS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.