The State Universities Retirement System (SURS) is one of the five state-funded retirement plans and provides retirement, survivor, death and disability benefits on behalf of more than 230,000 members from 61 employers in Illinois, including state universities, community colleges and state agencies. SURS administers benefits and oversees a large investment program with assets approximating $20.7 billion.
The chief internal auditor supervises an internal audit staff of two, is a member of SURS’ executive leadership team and reports to the executive director and the Audit Committee of the SURS Board of Trustees. This position is in Champaign, Illinois.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The chief internal auditor directs and manages all aspects of the internal audit function at SURS. Key responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Plan, direct and monitor the day-to-day activities of the internal audit department
- Prepare SURS Board of Trustees Audit Committee agendas, materials and present items at quarterly board meetings
- Develop annual audit plan using risk-based approach
- Perform sensitive, unusual or complex audits in variety of areas including investments, staff payroll, governance, risk management, compliance, information systems, benefit claims, disbursements, member contributions
- Ensure audit work performed is based on Institute of Internal Auditors Standards, state laws, and internal policies and procedures
- Coordinate work, gather information and act as liaison between staff and the Illinois Auditor General’s staff for annual external financial and compliance audits
- Hire, supervise and manage employer audit firm and other specialty outsourced audits
- Bachelor’s degree with a major in accounting, finance or related field. Advanced degree or professional designation such as certified internal auditor (CIA) or certified public accountant (CPA) preferred
- A minimum of five years relevant auditing experience, ten years preferred
- A thorough knowledge of accounting and auditing standards, principles, theory, concepts and practices required
- Experience assisting with the oversight of day-to-day activities of an audit department including supervision of staff
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, ability to communicate and effectively present complex audit related topics to executive management and the board
- Excellent leadership and teamwork skills are required
- Strong computer skills
Apply for this Position
SURS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.