As you browse through this website to view, print, and download forms, publications, and general information, no personal identifying information will be revealed or recorded about you. We will only collect and maintain the following information about your visit:
Server Logs/Log Analysis Tools
SURS uses server logs and log analysis tools to create summary statistics about the use of the website. The summary statistics are used to assess what information is of most interest to users, determine technical design specifications, and identify system performance or problem areas. The following information is collected for this analysis:
- User/client hostname: The hostname (or IP address, if DNS is disabled) of the user/client requesting access.
- HTTP header, "user-agent": The user-agent information includes the type of browser used, the browser version, and the operating system it is running on.
- HTTP header, "referrer": The referrer specifies the page from which the user/client accessed the current page.
- System date: The date and time of the user/client request.
- Full request: The exact request the user/client made.
- Status: The status code the server returned to the user/client.
- Content length: The content length, in bytes, of the document sent to the user/client.
- Method: The request method used.
- Universal Resource Identifier (URI): The location of a resource on the server.
- Query string of the URI: Anything after the question mark in a URI.
- Protocol: The transport protocol and version used.
This information is used solely to help us improve our online services by determining how often our website is visited and which areas of the site are visited most to gauge overall interest. All information is used exclusively by SURS, but may be shared with other State agencies to perform the duties and obligations imposed by the Illinois Pension Code. None of the information we collect is sold or disclosed to third parties unless it is required to fulfill a request made in accordance to the Illinois Freedom of Information Act or in response to audit inquiries.
For site security purposes and to ensure that the site remains available to all users, SURS uses software to monitor network traffic in order to identify unauthorized attempts to upload or change information, or otherwise cause damage. Except for authorized law enforcement investigations, no other attempts are made to identify individual users or their usage habits. Raw data logs are used for no other purposes.
Accessing Member Account Information
As a service, we provide our members with online access to their own member account information. We require user IDs and passwords, and use data encryption and third-party verification to protect your member account information. In order to access your member account information through our website, you will need to provide your user ID and password. Accessing your member account information online is voluntary. If you choose not to utilize our online member account information service, you will still be able to use all other features of our website.
If you believe that personal information that you provided to SURS contains inaccuracies or needs to be updated, please contact SURS at 800-275-7877 to provide updated information.
When you send an e-mail from our website to get in touch with SURS, the information we receive depends on the information you reveal to us in your message. Depending on the content of your e-mail, the information you submit may be used by SURS staff to respond appropriately, by either responding to you, addressing issues you identify, making improvements to our website that you suggest, or forwarding your e-mail to another agency for appropriate action. SURS is not responsible for unauthorized access by third parties to personal information you reveal in your e-mail messages.
Using Web Links
It is SURS policy to safeguard the integrity of its communications and computer infrastructure through reasonable and appropriate means. Your SURS member account information accessible online is protected through security measures including authentication, monitoring, auditing, and encryption. E-mail communications to and from SURS are not protected by these security measures. SURS does not warrant the security of information on other websites that you may visit by linking to a different web address.
Social Security Numbers
SURS uses its own Member Identification numbers for the majority of our member communications to help protect your identity. However, SURS has to collect Social Security Numbers ("SSNs") for federal tax-reporting purposes associated with payment of benefits and refunds. Rest assured that SURS understands your concerns related to identity theft and has policies and procedures in place to protect the confidentiality of your Social Security number that comply with Illinois and Federal law.
We will not:
- Sell, lease, trade, or rent SSNs to a third party for any purpose;
- Publicly post or display SSNs;
- Print SSNs on any card required for SURS members to access SURS services;
- Require anyone to transmit SSNs over the Internet, unless the connection is secure or the SSN is encrypted;
- Print SSNs on any materials mailed, unless State or Federal law requires that the SSN be on the documents mailed, or unless SURS is confirming the accuracy of the SSN;
- Collect, use or disclose SSNs unless required by State or Federal law or for the performance of the duties and responsibilities of SURS;
- Require a member to use his or her SSN to access the SURS Web site; or
- Use the SSN for any purpose other than the purpose for which it was collected.
- Disclose SSNs if required by a court order, warrant, or subpoena;
- Disclose SSNs to reciprocal retirement systems or other government agencies to perform SURS duties and responsibilities with regard to the SURS member;
- Collect, use, or disclose SSNs to verify the SSN for SURS internal processes;
- Disclose SSNs as required by law; or
- Collect SSNs to locate an inactive or dormant member to pay a benefit from SURS.
Accuracy of Data
We make every effort to provide you with the most current and accurate information. Your account information is subject to change because of an audit or because of new or different data provided by you or your employer.
It is our policy to comply with all applicable federal and state laws, rules, and regulations. If there is a conflict between information contained on this website and the applicable law, rule, or regulation, the law, rule, or regulation will prevail.
This website is the official site of the State Universities Retirement System of Illinois. Unauthorized attempts to upload information or change information on this website, tamper with or modify this system, including supporting hardware or software, are strictly prohibited and may be subject to criminal prosecution under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act and the Illinois Computer Crime Prevention Law.
If you are under the age of 13, you are not authorized to provide us with personally identifying information. Collection of information volunteered by children online or by e-mail will be treated the same as information given by an adult.